8.29.2011

Naming the animals

And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and eery bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name.
[Genesis 2:19]
Okay, so only Adam got the job of naming every animal species on Earth (Overall, I think he did a pretty great job, with the exception of names like "aardvark" or "orangutan." I think it's the excess of vowels. Or perhaps these names got a little lost in translation when the Tower of Babel hit the fan?) But there's a beautiful and mildly frightening truth in this passage that's true of all human beings. We are given authority over the Earth (taking care of God's creation) AND have the freedom to make our own decisions (i.e. Adam naming the animals whatever he wanted).

So we have power. A God-given power to rule on Earth. Of course we are not the ultimate power. We're always subject to the King of Kings, the very Creator Himself (with a capital "C" which rhymes with "P" which stands for pool! Music Man, anyone?). But He has given us authority over this little ole domain we call planet Earth.

And with that authority comes free will. Yes, the Lord has a perfect will for my life. But he also allows me to fumble and stumble and mumble (?) my way through life, which come because of the mistakes I make (and the commandments I so blatantly disobey). God could force us to do what He wants us to do. But how much more special is our relationship with our Heavenly Father because it's one we choose to be in?

Yes, yes. He predestined us to be adopted into the body of Christ-- I know my Ephesians 1. But how sweet is it that we also get to choose Christ?!

I guess I'm just overwhelmed with this idea of choice. Like Adam was given the opportunity to name the animal kingdom, we are given the opportunity to live a life on Earth. Who knows for how long or where we'll spend the majority of it or with whom, but... There it is.

My grandpa, Roger Comfort
I think of my recently passed grandpa who saw his life as a continual opportunity to grow in and share the love of Christ. A man who, before time began, was predestined to know Jesus-- but also a man who chose to love fearlessly. A man who chose to bravely enter the throne room of God everyday to lift up his loved ones in prayer. I think of someone whose entire life (92 years) continues to challenge my daily walk with my Savior, even though I no longer have the privelege of witnessing his life on Earth anymore.

I want to take hold of what my God has entrusted to me and choose to live a life worthy of the calling. Don't be fooled into believing you haven't been entrusted with much-- that's such crap. Sure, on our own merits we bring absolutely NOTHING of value to he table. But with Christ in me, I am complete. I am equipped.  In the following verse, I like to replace "all these things" with "this life."

But in this life we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 
[Romans 8:37]

Not only can I survive this life on Earth-- I can flourish, thanks to my Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment