7.07.2012

Cooking with Class

For those of you who know me even just a little, you know I like to cook. I consider cookbooks to be totally legitimate bed-time reading material. I could happily spend several hours in any kitchen supply store. And I often wish it was culturally acceptable to spend more money on food than clothes. 

Despite my love for the culinary arts, I don't plan on turning this passion into a career anytime soon. I have so much respect for professional chefs (or even people who survive culinary school in the first place), but the long evening hours, constant shouting from perfectionist chefs, and overall high stress is too much of a contrast from my home kitchen for my liking. 

Long before coming to Paris, I knew I simply could NOT spend four weeks here without going to a cooking class (all made possible by the generosity of my sister!). And so yesterday, after many weeks of anticipation, I set off with my friend Christine for the Morning Market class (one of the many classes offered at Cooking with Class). It was at the Jules Joffrin metro station that we met the cutest chef, Constance (I knew I'd like her from the moment I saw her wearing a Levi's jean jacket and cheetah-print loafers), who proceeded to take us from one shop to the next where we bought the meat, cheese, bread, fish, and produce needed for our three-course lunch (dejeuner as they say here, hehe). Constance paused inside each shop to tell us about the importance of each food item in French culture and cuisine, how to pick out the best product, and the background on how certain things are made or processed. (This was especially true for our visit to the fromagerie-- I've never learned SO much about cheese!) Yes, I was that kid with a notebook and pen furiously recording every fact our chef shared with our class (only six of us, actually). 

Fish market where we bought mackerel for our entrée
Constance explaining all of those delicious cheeses
Right side, top to bottom: Seared mackerel with eggplant, tomato, and olive caponata with pine nuts; duck breast with meat sauce, roasted rosemary peaches, and French potatoes; vanilla bean ice cream with Greek olives (!),  pistachio cookie, and strawberries cooked in a balsamic reduction. 
Cooking buddies!
Constance was so helpful and patient with all of us (especially as I struggled to trim the fat off a finicky duck breast) and it was nice to just sit around and talk about the real France, not that touristy crap. Without a doubt this has been my favorite experience in Paris thus far and don't tell Teo, but I have a feeling it will stay my favorite. 

Can I just say for the millionth time I am SO glad God made food taste delicious?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment